Wednesday 26 September 2007

If you want me to be comfortable with you give me new socks!

My parents have now found a way to get me over my social phobia, they have decided to award me treats. So whenever I meet a new person I get new socks and therefore begin to associate new people with nice things and so get over my problems! OK so I know that they were joking but the image of someone standing there holding, brand new, socks out to me as a bribe to talk to them just really tickles me.
I suppose I should explain where this came from, we were watching a programme called "Dog Borstal" on TV tonight and on it was this Great Dane that was more or less socially phobic. It was so bad that whenever he went out he had to take his cuddly toy elephant with him! So to get him over this anxiety they got people that he didn't know to give him treats so he became accustomed to the fact that not everyone was scary.
But there was something so amusing about seeing this large dog carrying around a soft toy for comfort, and to be honest I do that as well. I have this bear puppet which I have had since I was four (wow, he's nearly 21!) who is my comforter and I must admit that when I was going out in the car he used to come with me so I would feel better. And when I start going out again he's coming with me, even though a lot of his fur is gone and he's had to be stitched up and his eye has had to be glued back in a number of times. But it's all just signs that he has been well loved, apart from his eye, which only fell out because I used him as a weapon against my brother!

No comments: